Saturday 14 February 2015

My Reputation - 1946 ***


The more I watch Stanwyck on screen, the more besotted I get with her acting. I think she's utterly tremendous and I devour as much of her work as I can.
Jessica Drummond is finding life difficult after losing her husband, and looking after her two young sons is taking it's toll. When she meets a man named Major Scott Landis whilst skiing she believes she can finally move on with her life. But this relationship is short-lived when Scott has to return to service and so Jessica is heartbroken once more. A chance encounter with a new man named Frank appears promising, but when Scott turns up unexpectedly in town complications arise, and the gossiping townsfolk threaten to tear not just Jessica's but her two son's lives apart. What I found interesting was how the concept of extreme gossip can utterly destroy someone, and how although the idea of having a boyfriend when you have children is not taboo anymore, the idea of seeing multiple people is still considered wrong. 

No comments:

Post a Comment